Terrapex Environnement Ltée compiles an inventory of hazardous materials on commercial and industrial sites in accordance with regulations administered by the Ministère du Développement Durable, de l’Environnement et de la Lutte aux changements climatiques (MDDELCC) :
A number of environmental protection regulations must be followed concerning the management of hazardous materials. In order to ensure proper management of hazardous materials, an inventory is essential. By definition, hazardous materials are solids, liquids, or gases that can harm people, other living organisms, property, or the environment. According to the present law and regulations, materials with radioactive, flammable, explosive, corrosive, oxidizing, asphyxiating, bio hazardous, toxic, pathogenic or allergenic characteristics are considered hazardous.
Example of cases requiring an inventory of hazardous materials
- Per the regulation, certain companies must file a balance of onsite hazardous materials in their annual management report
- Environmental impact assessments on projects involving the incineration of waste or dangerous material
- Management of decommissioning materials
- Management of “scrap” vehicles
- All other projects related to the management of hazardous materials.